Carolinas Aviation Museum
Client: Carolinas Aviation Museum
David S. Tobin, AIA, Principal-in-Charge, Lead Designer
Davin Stamp – Intern Architect – Designer
Joseph Coradini – Intern Architect – Designer
The Carolinas Aviation Museum was established in 1991 when Lois and Floyd Wilson organized the Carolinas Historic Aviation Commission to save the historic circa 1938 Charlotte Airport Hangar that had been slated for demolition to make room for airport expansion. The rescued historic Hangar became the home to the young museum and its collection of historic aircraft and aviation artifacts grew impressively. In 2010 the museum relocated a short distance to a 40,000 sq. ft. hangar and exhibit space more than 4 times larger than the original hangar. The original hangar was relocated to accommodate new taxiway construction but remains today as museum storage to a continually growing collection. In 2011 the museum became home to the Flight 1549, “Miracle on the Hudson” Airbus A320 aircraft where it is a centerpiece exhibit. In 2013 the Carolinas Aviation Museum became an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution.
The Carolinas Aviation Museum is our oldest client. In each year since 1999, our practice has performed planning and design assignments for the museum in support of its evolving strategic goals and expanding operations. Today, our Carolinas Aviation Museum work remains active and “on-the-boards” as ever more ambitious and critical milestones remain ahead.